Friday, February 6, 2015

The Big6 Steps for Information Literacy #resvt #vsla #tlchat


Big6 logo.png



Fourth grade students will be using the Big6 steps for information literacy as they research and prepare their Capstone Projects. The Big6 steps are:



#1 - Task Definition

What is my research task? What types of information do I need?



#2 - Information Seeking Strategies

What are possible sources? Which sources are best for me?


#3 Location and Access

Where is each source? Where is the information in each source?


#4 Use of Information

How can I best use each source? What information in each source is useful?


#5 Synthesis

How can I organize all the information? How can I present the result?


#6 Evaluation

Is the task completed? How can I do things better?


The Big6 approach was developed by longtime educators Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz as a way to help students structure their research process. More information about the Big6 is available at http://big6.com/.

Students are currently completing Step 1 by developing their research questions. They have come up with some amazing research questions already, and we plan to share these questions on this blog in the next few weeks.




Big6 skills and image are from http://big6.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.