The topic of each of the sites below is endangered species. Pretend that you are about to do a project on endangered species,--go to one of these websites and use our rating sheet to decide if you would use the information you find there.
- Endangered Earth (www.endangeredearth.com/)
- World Wildlife Fund: About Our Earth (http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/)
- Kids’ Planet: Species Fact Sheets (www.kidsplanet.org/factsheets/map.html)
- Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service: Endangered Species (http://www.fws.gov/endangered/news/bulletin.html)
- Wikipedia: Endangered Species (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endangered_species)
- Earth’s Endangered Creatures (www.earthsendangered.com/)
- The Jackalope Conspiracy (www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm)
Share and discuss your results with a classmate at the same step as you.
Use the rating sheet to rate one of your favorite endangered species sites. How does it hold up to our rating system?
We have spent a lot of time discussing advertising. How does advertising factor into websites? What do you notice? Do you think that makes a difference in whether or not a website should be used for research? Look at a few of these websites with an eye for advertising. (Think about this and we will discuss it as a class next time!)
Should we change the rating sheet? How? Why? Note any changes you would like to make on an extra rating sheet.