checking sound levels in iMovie
On Wednesday February 5, fourth graders in Mrs. Rankin and Mrs. Redford's Enrichment Library Class will be participating in Digital Learning Day 2014 (DLD). DLD is "a nationwide celebration of innovative teachers and common-sense, effective applications of digital learning in America’s schools that support teachers, improve learning, and provide options for students to achieve at their highest potential." (from the official DLD website) Information on Digital Learning Day activities in Vermont and across the country can be found on the DLD Day 2014 Event Map.
During their year in Enrichment Library Class, scholars use technology to practice important 21st century skills such as digital citizenship, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. They also learn to use technology thoughtfully and skillfully to find and communicate information. So far this year they have
- improved their media literacy knowledge by using iMovie to create their own commercials
- practiced their digital citizenship skills by finding and citing images from images.google.com/, http://pics.tech4learning.com/ , http://openclipart.org/, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, and other sources
- Practiced their critical thinking skills by evaluating websites for reliability (a favorite was the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus site http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus)
thinking critically about the Tree Octopus website
During Wednesday's class, scholars will be researching, taking notes, and creating citations for their independent "Capstone" projects. As they do this, they will be practicing their skills in:
- digital search strategies
- evaluating online sources
- digital citizenship
We will be posting pictures and information from DLD on this blog, so stay tuned on February 5! We will also be tweeting DLD updates from the RES library Twitter account, @resvtlib. Please follow along with us on our digital learning journey!
creating class guidelines for thoughtful Internet use