Fourth grade students will be using the Big6 Skills as they research and prepare their Capstone Projects. The Big6 Skills are:
1. Task Definition1.1 Define the information problem
1.2 Identify information needed
2. Information Seeking Strategies2.1 Determine all possible sources
2.2 Select the best sources
3. Location and Access3.1 Locate sources (intellectually and physically)
3.2 Find information within sources
4. Use of Information4.1 Engage (e.g., read, hear, view, touch)
4.2 Extract relevant information
5. Synthesis5.1 Organize from multiple sources
5.2 Present the information
6. Evaluation6.1 Judge the product (effectiveness)
6.2 Judge the process (efficiency)
The Big6 approach was developed by longtime educators Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz as a way to help students structure their research process. More information about the Big6 is available at http://big6.com/.
Students are currently completing Step 1 by developing their research questions. In Step 2 they will be identifying sources of information to help them answer these questions. They have come up with some amazing research questions already, and we plan to share these questions on this blog in the next few weeks.
Big6 skills and worm image are from http://big6.com/